Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Snuggle Cuddle Cocoon Resized - Free Newborn Crochet Pattern



Good afternoon all. 
Ever since the release of the Snuggle cuddle cocoon back in 2012 people have asked for a newborn size. I am pleased to say that I now have instructions on how to make it to fit newborns, and 0-3 months. Jackson is 2 months old in the images (11 pound, 59cm long), so you can see how it fits. If you have a long bubba just add some more rows. This cocoon used the best part of a 140g ball of Red Heart super saver, which is 260yards/238meters so make sure you have enough yarn.
I imagine this would also look super fun with stripes, or large blocks of colour. Have a play with it, I'm sure you guys will find some wonderful colour combo's, you always do :)

As you can see, I also have some lovely worsted weight yarns now, so I can go ahead and make some wonderful patterns with them. Very exciting stuff indeed! 

:::::EDIT:::::
The flap on the cocoon in the image is backwards. Somehow my baby brain managed to turn the thing in the wrong way. Your cocoon will have a flap facing the opposite direction, unless you actually want it to face this way and in that case just turn the piece inside out :) I'll get new photos when I have a chance to remake the cocoon. 




You will need:
Worsted Weight/10ply yarn I used Red Heart Super Saver in aran fleck for the main colour and Bernat super value in brown for contrasting.
6.5mm hook for 0-3 months
6.00mm hook for an average newborn
5.5mm hook for a small newborn 
4 buttons

Joins are made to the first stitch, not the chains.

With main colour:
1. Ch3, dc 10 times in the 3rd chain from hook, join. (10)
2. Ch3, 2dc in each stitch around, join. (20)
3. Ch3, *1dc in the first stitch, 2dc in the next stitch* Repeat around, join. (30)
4. Ch3, dc in each stitch around, join. (30)
5. Ch3, *1dc in the first stitch, 2dc in the next stitch* Repeat around, join. (45)
6. Ch3, *1dc in the first 2 stitch, 2dc in the next stitch* Repeat around, join. (60)
7. Ch3, dc in each stitch around, join. (60)
8. Ch3, dc in each stitch around, do not join. From here on we will be working in rows.
9. Ch10, turn, dc in the 3rd chain from hook and in each remaining chain, then in each dc across (68)
10- 26. Ch3, turn, dc in each dc across. End main colour.
Change to contrasting colour and sc across, then sc evenly down the opening and back up the other side. 

Sew on buttons and weave in all tails.


20 comments:

  1. Hello, love the pattern! I will definately be trying out this pattern for a baby shower I am attending. Could you please provide me with approximate dimensions for 0-3. Thanx. Keep up the good work =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, love the pattern! I will definately be trying out this pattern for a baby shower I am attending. Could you please provide me with approximate dimensions for 0-3. Thanx. Keep up the good work =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi...awsome pattern.do u have video for the same?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I don't have the equipment to make videos :)

      Delete
  4. Thank you so much for sharing this. Am going to make one for a friend's new grandson

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just made this for my soon-to-be-niece! Your pattern was super easy to follow and it looks awesome! Thank you so much!
    I do have one question about the buttons: do you sew them onto the top flap, on the bottom flap where they get pushed through the DC spaces, or sew through the top and bottom flaps sealing it together? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there,
      Im glad you like the pattern. I sew them on the bottom flap, and push them through the dc's as "buttonholes" Doing it this way makes it more adjustable depending on bubs size.

      Delete
    2. That's what I thought! I just wanted to make sure :) I must buy smaller buttons now haha

      Delete
    3. Love the pattern and look. I'm going be a first great grandma of a girl, I'm so tickled, I'm making a blanket and this will go beautiful with it and a cap and gloves, she due 17 wks so busy I am

      Delete
  7. I am making your snuggle cuddle cocoon and on line 8, it says CH*, turn, dc in the 3rd chain from hook and each ch across, then in each dc across. Do I need to turn and then do the "then in each DC across"? Also the chain 8 makes a loop, what is this for? Is this for the first buttonhole. If I turn it to do each DC across, where do I stop, before the loop or into the loop? Thanks, Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. The chain 10 is the start of the flap. If you turn the right direction and double crochet in the 3rd chain from the hook, you should have about 5 double crochets that line up with the row to continue "then each dc across." There are no buttonholes in the pattern. If you pick the right button size, the button will fit between any double crochets in the row. This is useful then because you can adjust the size (circumfrence) of the cocoon as the baby grows.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, do you have the dimensions on this? I want to do hdc to make it less "holey".

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would suggest using a smaller crochet hook. May use more yarn but get same out come with smaller hook as I'm going to use smaller 1 and line the inside would help so clod won't go through the larger holes. I material for inside of it that keeps draft out. My blanket I made her I'm putting butterfly material on 1 side and sewing it on, this will stop the blanket from losing its shape and from shrinking, to softener yard after ur done soak it in fabric softener 24 hrs then wash delicate and cold and dry on perm press

    ReplyDelete
  11. What do you mean by join? Is there a video on YouTube for this? Pattern looks great... looking forward to doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm curious on how to do the 10-26... I can't figure that part out & I'm stuck on it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For each row from row 10 to row 26- at the end of row 9 Ch3, turn, double crochet in each dc across. Repeat for each row until you have completed 26 rows. At the end of row 26, tie off your main color of yarn. join your contrasting color of yarn and single crochet across, then sc evenly down the opening and back up the other side.

      Delete
  13. I love this pattern. Working on my third one this week. Can't post a picture. But I am using Caron Cake - uses a little over half the cake. I make a simple DC beanie to match.

    ReplyDelete
  14. you wrote, Worsted Weight/10ply yarn I used Red Heart Super Save
    is that right

    ReplyDelete