Friday, November 30, 2012

CatNip CatFish - Free Crochet Pattern




Hello again!

Well today's pattern is something a little new for me. Last night my local RSPCA posted on their Facebook that they were in need of donations of toys, food ect for the holiday season. I figured Id make a box full of cat toys and deliver the present all wrapped up from Cleo and Chloe (our kitties that came from there) Even furry friends need presents! Well of course, that means patterns! So Ill have a few cat toys up over the next few days.

I also have a few new Barbie patterns to get up, which I should have done by the end of next week.


While I have your attention: Please, Pets are NOT good gifts! So many pets end up at shelters across the globe after being unwanted gifts given for Christmas. Also remember that the very best place to find your furever friend is at a shelter, give some love to a pet who has none.


I promise, this will be the fastest cat toy you will ever make, they are so simple :) Why not whip up a few for your cats, and a few more for your local shelter.

CatNip CatFish

4.5mm hook
2 strands of DK weight yarn held together
small amount of stuffing
catnip

R1: ch2, sc 6 in the fist chain, do not join, place marker
R2: sc, 2sc in the next, repeat around (9)
R3: 2sc in the next stitch, sc in the next 2 stitches (12)
R4-R6: sc in each stitch around
R7: sc2tg, repeat around (6)

Stop here and stuff your fish

R8: ch1, squeeze the open end together and sc the end together with 3 sc (3)
R9: ch1, turn, 2sc in each stitch (6)
R10: ch3, dc 3 times in the first st, sk1, sl st, sk1, dc 3 times in the last stitch, ch3 and sl st into the same st. Finish off and weave in ends.

15 comments:

  1. These are just what I was looking for .... great for family pets and cat rescue
    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fab, going to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. absolutely love this pattern! I have made several and given them to all the kitties I know and my grandkitties love them. I have also given a bunch to a local shelter. thanks so much

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute and super simple. My new husband's kitty is about to move in, so I am making some for her as a welcome gift.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been making toys for my local shelter, this pattern is just what I was looking for to add to my collection. I added a jingle bell in the head of the fish. Thank you for the pattern <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. My newest kitten loves this. I put 1 or 2 jingle bells in before stuffing. This pattern is very easy and quick. Thank you for posting it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh I do love this pattern! I tend to use cotton worsted for babies and pets because they tend to suck on things and it worked up so well. They end up 2" wide and about 3-1/2" long with an F hook. Thank you so much for this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I forgot to mention I did not bother to stuff mine because they were so solid and sturdy as is, and I managed to poke 1/2 teaspoon of crushed catnip into each one along the way... so very easy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I’m a beginner. Do you start with a magic ring? I can’t figure out how this works otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I did the chains for the first one I made up and a magic circle for the second. Omg, so cute! I used a dark aqua worsted paired with some scrap variegated baby yarn (2-3 weight) and a G hook.

    ReplyDelete
  11. these are so cute--for my 3 kitties, and the shelters kitties! Can literally make dozens if your hands hold out. Glad you shared this with us, so we can share with the less fortunate kitties in this world. Every one shared is a blessing from we humans! May we all make a few and share. HUGS 💚💛🧡💙

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this pattern. my mother and I have been looking for good patterns to make pet toys for donating to local shelters. Ty again for sharing this pattern😊

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for sharing, my cat loves the one I made and I am on a roll now and gonna knock out a bunch with my stash yarn for friends and local shelters. It's so quick and easy, and uses so little yarn, it's a perfect and fun pattern. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. When and how much catnip do you put in each toy?

    ReplyDelete